When you live where we do, just about everyone you know has a season pass to Six Flags Great Adventure. There's the drive-through safari (which is no longer going to allow cars... but will still be the largest safari outside of Africa), a huge waterpark, and, of course, the amusement park. It is basically a paradise for kids. And a haven for teenagers.
There are a dozen reasons why WE do not have passes, however. The primary one is that I'd much, much rather be spending time doing other outdoorsy things during the months that Six Flags is open. That includes going to the beach, hanging out at the various awesome local parks, and taking day-trips into the city. Not standing in lines and sitting on rides.
These kids sure get that ;)
(Check out this article if you're looking for easy ways to connect your family to nature.)

Recent playdate hike at the Manasquan Reservoir
But the other reason why I don't get the passes is because, inevitably, someone that I know is generous enough to share some free passes with us... and we usually end up going about twice a season. And that's quite enough for me.
The boys LOVE it. Below, Jillian, Oliver, Desi, and T (way in the back).
We headed out there on a Sunday evening... which is tricky in October, because Six Flags also promotes something called Fright Fest. They decorate the park all spooky-like... and after 6, start playing creepy music... and the zombies come out to roam. Essentially, folks dress up all creepy and follow you around the park. Not a nice mix with these boys, so we high-tailed it out of there just before the sun went down... Many thanks to Amy, though, for inviting us to come along ;) I even got to ride Rolling Thunder with Jillian!
***
Yes, they have plenty of room in the full-sized bed. No, I don't think they're ready for the bunk-bed juust yet. They love reading to each other as they fall asleep.
In the morning, one kid usually wakes the other one up, though. That happened this morning at 5:15: Oliver had a bad dream and cried about it; Trenton yelled at him for crying and waking him up. But instead of scooping one boy up and bringing him into bed with me, I put my foot down and insisted they stay back in their place. Pillows over our ears, we went back to sleep... and woke up just in time to feed, clothe, and put T on the bus. HA!
***
Halloween is all about parties, apparently.
I'm helping to plan and execute a party for my MOMS Club on Friday. Then there's Oliver's kids party on Saturday, and a family party on Sunday. I volunteered to help out in the preschool party on Tuesday, and in T's class on Wednesday. And then we actually have to do SOMETHING on his real birthday...
The picture below is of the 'spooky box' that I created for the Friday party. The idea is to put random stuff in each of the numbered holes, and get the kids to guess what they're feeling. Stuff like spider legs, worms, eyeballs... Oliver helped me peel grapes today so that the kids can get a slimy surprise!
***
Oh, and then this happened.Barbara, my hair-stylist, cut Oliver's hair this week, just in time for his party. I did tell her that it needed to be shortened, for sure... But when you see it, you're going to notice that it is SO DIFFERENT. He looks like a big boy. Uggh!
No more bowl cut. Just a big-boy hairstyle now.
:(((
Still looks darn handsome, though.
Final pics: Above, our tree gets pruned and fertilized. We are trying so hard to preserve it. Apparently, it is not native to these parts, and is very susceptible to a mold that is slowly killing it. I'm hoping that the steps we take now will allow us to enjoy it for years to come.
And, time to cut pumpkins!









No comments:
Post a Comment