Friday, October 30, 2009

One...Year...Old


It's a jolly holiday with Ollie!
Ollie makes your heart feel light!
When the day is gray and ordinary
Ollie makes the sun shine bright!
Happiness is bloomin' all around him.
The daffodils are smiling at the doves!
When Ollie holds your hand
you feel so grand
your heart starts beating like a big brass band.
(Boom-boom-boom boom-boom-boom-BOOM!)
Oooh it's a jolly holiday with Ollie!
No wonder its our Ollie that we love!

You've gotten so used to hearing me sing you that song, you even chime in at the drum-sounds part.
You've got eight teeth, which you use so often to chomp down on my arm, I've got small bruises all over as proof.
You know how to hold your own with your brother and totally want to do whatever he is doing. Including jumping on the bed. My triceps thank you for that workout.
And my size 4 body thanks you for being such a persistent nurser. I totally thought we'd be on our way out by now, but you've made it clear that you are not interested in that at all. And I'm starting to think that's OK.
You are up each morning at 5:47 or 5:48. I don't know how the heck you do it. You wake and cry, not letting up until you get what you want... and then sometimes you fall back asleep. Which is sooo nice.

You do this routine (photographed below) at least a half-dozen times a day. Your scrunched-up face and pitiful cries cause me to stop whatever I'm doing, bend down and pick you up, or spend some cuddle time with you on the floor.
Once you're in my arms, the first word out of your mouth is "Dooh!", followed by an extended arm and finger. As though you're trying to point out something new to me. Or you just want my attention.


















Well, you got it.
I thought I had it all figured out when it was just me and T. And in a lot of ways, I did! But who knew how much more complete you could make my life? Make our lives?


And who knew that taking the time to point out every bird in the sky could be such a blessing?

Thanks, Ollie. I've thoroughly enjoyed my first year of being your momma. Happy birthday, boopa.

4 comments:

. said...

Happy Birthday Ollie!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ollie!!!
What an adorable bee!
You guys have a Happy Halloween!

Mina & Maya

Amanda said...

That post teared me up. Happy birthday Ollie!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, Godson!

Love, Aunt Red