Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shock, Grief, and Appreciation of the Little Things

Wouldn't be right not to reflect on the earthquake on this blog. As I've said before, my true intentions here are for my sons to someday look back on this as a virtual baby book. I'd like them to be able to view their own personal history, including achievements, vacations, and day-to-day life, with the quick click of a mouse. I also want them to know that history is constantly being made every day. Things change. Events happen. And people react.

I've tried hard to keep T away from the TV this week. Coverage of the horrors in Haiti are everywhere. I've even switched from NPR to kids CDs in the car. He's very aware of the radio programs I listen to-- always asking about words they use, or repeating phrases ("Mom! Ten people were killed!"... never fun explaining about suicide bombers to a three-year-old). Today, I had to hide the paper as well. Each time I look at it, I'm reminded of the beauty I recently experienced on the next island over. The faces are different, but the background is the same. Lush green trees, rolling hillsides, heat, sun...

But as I sit here in our (warm, dry, standing) home, after coming back from a calm morning at church, I remember all of the things that I'm grateful for. Reflecting on our fortunes is common and natural during times like these. As is reaching out to give. If you haven't already, please make a donation to the American Red Cross. And if you aren't moved to somehow find ten extra dollars to donate ("Obama is sending my tax money already... why should I add to it?" Nice comment, eh? Probably spoken by a TRUE Christian...), please check out this. Now tell me that those people couldn't use that money more than you could right now.

Other posts and articles that I've found interesting include this one about breastfeeding during emergencies, bi-partisan efforts at their finest, and this, our president's response to the disaster at hand.

***
Each day since we've gotten home, I've tried to connect more with the boys through little moments during the day. Here's one that I've captured on video, below. I call it preparation for the Olympic Bobsledding Team, 2022 ;) Enjoy.

Jerseyan Bobsled Team, 2022 from Sheryl Konopack on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

they are SO CUTE! "He's so adorable!... Whatever!" lol

Anonymous said...

Adorable! - Mina