Monday, May 21, 2012

Box Garden

 I had the idea to create a box garden with the boys (you can see the creation of it here). Yes, we get lots of food from the local CSA... but the idea of planting veggies, watering them, and watching them grow sounded so exciting! Although I was going to put it in the backyard, there was not enough sun. So we settled on this random spot in the front yard, where grass won't grow anyway, and where the garden hose can reach easily.
Above, Trenton and Oliver plant organic carrot seeds around T's bean plant (that he grew from a seed at school). Below, a first watering.

 Then it was off to the Monmouth County Master Gardener's Plant Sale! I was psyched for this-- local plants for our garden! We didn't go looking for anything in particular... I made suggestions based on what I knew the boys liked to eat, and we made our purchases based on that.
 Below, T checks out the tomato plants. We ended up buying some cherry tomato plants and some plum ones.

 Above, handling some lamb's ear.
We bought red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini. We also got two boysenberry bunches. I planted those in the backyard near the fence, so that they could grow without interruption. Jim still has plans to purchase some local bamboo and fill in the area in front of the house where we had a tree taken down recently. A friend has offered to give us some of her strawberry plants when she prunes them, and we're looking forward to that!

No comments: