You know, you can only really have one true First Day of School. The first day when you go off, without your parents, and learn and interact with others. Your first teachers. First backpack. All of that stuff happens ONCE.
And for Trenton, today was the day.
We'd been talking about it all summer, on and off. Last week was orientation, so he got to play in the classroom a bit. Sixteen kids. Half the mothers had already done this before (most had older siblings with them). The rest seemed a bit nervous.
What will Ollie do with Trenton gone during the day?
Jim was able to take the morning off, which made it all the more special. We had decided we'd leave early and walk to school together. But after getting Ollie set up in the double stroller, I asked T if he wanted to walk or ride.
His response? "I want to RUN!"
And so he did.
Eventually enjoying the ride. Look how cute he is with his arm around his brother. (A minute later, though, he was smacking him in the head...)
Walking up the sidewalk, approaching school. Running again!
Meeting up with his friend, Bobby. Checking out backpacks. That was the thing to do this morning.
Trenton and I had read a story where the students brought apples to the teachers at school. Seemed like a good idea. At the grocery store I let him pick out two apples (he had wanted blue ones, but we couldn't find any... ;)
Let's hope the teachers washed 'em off before they ate 'em.
They were babies just yesterday...
No, wait, that's a baby. But you have to remind him of that, as he's just about given up on baby food. Wants nothing to do with a spoon in his mouth, unless it has yogurt on it.
Mrs. Donzella and Mrs. Scardaville were very kind and appreciative of the apples. T was happy to hand them over and get into the classroom. You should have seen how wide his eyes got when he saw MULTIPLE Mr. Potato Head dolls on that table back there.
Putting away his backpack in the cubby on the wall.
***
What did I do that day?
Walked Ollie home in the stroller- he napped. Went to the park. Ran two errands and picked up some wedding gifts at Bed Bath. Dude, that's a lot in two hours, right?
I was one of the last moms to pick up, and when I got there, he was sitting at the table with his head down. He perked up so quickly and was so happy to see me! How sweet :)
Couldn't take many pictures, though, because he had a meltdown on the way out, which I think was related to the fact that he still has this runny nose-croup thing. Home for lunch, nap, etc.
***
What did he do that day?
I casually asked him in the car, after he calmed down: "Do you want to tell me about what you did at school?"
His response was that Mrs. Donzella read them a book, they had a snack of cheese crackers, and they went outside and played on the playground. He seemed happy with his day, and equally happy to be home.
I think this three-mornings-a-week thing is going to be good all around. The weirdest part about all of it, for me, has been coming to grips with the idea that I no longer have full control over what my kid will be doing or learning. Up to this point, it has been myself, Jim, or our parents, really, who have been with him for his ENTIRE waking life! Now I'm letting someone else do the talking, the choosing, the loving... He's a great kid to be able to share that with. And I did truly miss him today. He told me the same, too (without prompting ;)
3 comments:
Did you make it through the day without tears? I couldn't make it through your post without them. (((Hugs)))
Wow T is in school already...I am waiting for that time to come around with little man. Looks like he had fun tho in the photos. T and Ollie look so handsome in the stroller together! Hope all is well, love yall.
Trenton's first day of school - how exciting! Glad he had fun! They are both so stinking cute and you look FANTASTIC!
Post a Comment