Thursday, September 24, 2009

Trenton's Summer Pictures


Finally had a chance to take the pics off of his camera and post them here. A few of my faves, followed by a slideshow of others.





***

Have you been following this? Entitled "When a Parent's

'I Love You' Means 'Do as I Say'".

I came across it the other day and like to read things

that make me reflect on my own job as a parent.

Follow up with this discussion here (which was sorely

necessary), and then especially this comment here,

which Jim and I both agree is closest to our opinions.

3 comments:

Nicole Caccavo Kear said...

One of the things I find most remarkable about my son growing up is just how skinny he is getting. I see his skinny little torso, and I think, how fast the baby years go.

. said...

WOW T is a cutie!

Bridget said...

awww! Trenton.. he's looking like a little man. So cute!

I did read the original article, but not the follow ups... I would agree with Kate as well. I think as long as your treat your child like a human being and not a pet, you're doing good. I talk to my kids. I discipline them in ways that fit the scenario at hand (someone draws on the wall, here's a wash rag... then we talk about it, obviously, I end up completely cleaning it). but there are times that you both need to step away from one another... the child is getting too defiant to prove his point (or just because she's 3)... mom is getting too frustrated to look at the child and not ring his neck.... the child needs to learn that rather than fight, or resort to hitting, sometimes it is best to step away and breathe. that's okay too. I had a patient who was married to her husband for over 60 years tell me the secret to a long marriage was "sometimes you just have to go to bed angry." Sometimes you need the time to cool off to have a level head. In my opinion... that's the point of time out. The author, while well intentioned and did have some good points, may not see the whole picture as a mom or dad of a 2 or 3 y/o would see it. my opinion of the article was the same as some parenting books I've read; you're better off reading a child psych textbook to understand how to parent at various ages as opposed to finding the specific answers in an article or book.