Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Party Like It's 1992!

What do you do when one of your oldest, bestest friends throws a 31st birthday party with a 7th grade dance theme?
You hit up your friends for ideas on how to dress like it's 1992!

Kevin decided to celebrate his 31st birthday as though it was his 13th birthday... which would put him in seventh grade! He rented out a room at Gossip in the city and we secured a babysitter (thanks, Mom!)... Bus runs every hour from our town into the Port Authority... and we had a great night out!

Above, Kevin and his boyfriend, Joel, pose in front of the makeshift backdrop. Prom, anyone? They had slap bracelets as party favors and the featured drink at the bar was called "My Parents' Liquor Cabinet"-- a very sweet mix.

We need to give appropriate thanks to our wardrobe coordinators-- my friend Laura and my brother, Len. The mullet wig was Len's (from Halloween) and Laura (who was just finishing college in 1992!) had lots of nice, vintage-1992 pieces still in her closet! And her husband had the vest that Jim was rockin'... Folks say that I looked like a more mature Blossom.


Kevin had a "Seventh Grade Quiz" as well as a "How Well Do You Know the Faces of 1992" trivia game. The winners are above... yeah, that's me, holding up my prize: My Cousin Vinny! I scored a 100% on the quiz but won for Best Costume. Ha!

Happy Birthday, Kev, and thanks for a great night!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

OMG, that's awesome! lol. you do look like blossom. fun times.

Andrea said...

I said Blosson with the first Pic!! Happy Birthday Kev!!!

Dani said...

I was thinking Debbie Gibson too -- I think it was the hat that led me there.

Anonymous said...

Sheryl, I think you should wear hats more often, you look GREAT!Love Ya! MOM