Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is the Sky Falling?

I had a dentist appointment last night. I never knew you could make an appointment at 6:15!
Left pasta for the boys.
They musta had fun, as you can see from these pictures.

That toy box is the best $9 I've ever spent. Long live yard sales!


So, if you've been anywhere near New Jersey in the past few weeks, you must know something about the feud going on between Governor Christie and the NJEA teachers union... Last I've heard, he's asking the teachers to take a one year pay-increase freeze to offset the amount of money lost from state aid. I've seen the proposals for next year's school budget here in town, and it ain't pretty. They're proposing to increase class sizes (25 as the max in K-2), eliminate 40% of classroom supplies, guidance counselors and computer teachers cut, and eliminate band pull-out in the elementary school, among other things.

I go back and forth about a lot of this stuff, though. One, I'm impressed that Christie has decided to do what he said he'd do, and work hard to actually balance the state budget. I do believe teachers can learn to do more with less, so long as they are taught to do so and have support from their administrators. However, I don't think it is very respectful or professional for Christie to speak to teachers (via the union) in the tone that he's set out: very much a "you'd better do this, or the kids will suffer". Some of these districts in the state are going to lose 99% of their state funding next year and are scrambling to figure out how to do it. And some voters won't realize that the budget put before them for voting on April 20th is necessary-- there have been lots of cuts made. If it doesn't pass, guess what? SOMETHING passes. Just not as much as was proposed to voters. Which means even more cuts.

In our town, on a $350,000 home, this budget would mean an $80 increase. If it doesn't pass, the possible re-worked budget would be about $60. Still paying something. And the board has asked for there to be some way to ensure that all after-school activities are not cut (they'd all have to be paid by parents out of pocket).

The title to my post references this post over at the New Jersey Moms Blog. I think she's right, in that not many moms are talking about this. We need to get informed and educate each other about the facts and then encourage people to vote-- either way-- on April 20th.

The teachers out there get it. From what I hear, Spring Break has been a welcome reprieve from the stress, gossip, and uncertainty at school. I truly feel sorry for all the teachers who will get RIFed-- it happened to me, and it is a horrible way to be let go. I know that I'm lucky not to have to go back to work next year-- the job market is going to be SWAMPED with applicants. But I'm also glad that I'm working on this masters degree and have some experience under my belt.

So, is the sky falling? Will people care? Or will they not "get it" unless they try?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Education funding is ugly right now. Unit 4 had to cut 2.4 million out of next year's budget (it's amazing how they were able to do it without greatly affecting students). It's going to be worse the following year. Illinois isn't paying schools any of the money they owe and are proposing to cut 1.3 billion from educational funding next year. PreK will no longer be funded unless Unit 4 pays for it. I agree that a lot of money is misspent in education, but these drastic cuts are going to leave the state of our public educational system in shambles. Scary times, especially for children who only have the option of public education.