Saturday, July 23, 2011

I remember having so many different cars as a kid. A gray station wagon. A yellow two-door that my brother and I dubbed "the Banana Boat". A brown four-door Oldsmobile with cream interior. A dark-colored rental that got rear-ended one day on Rt. 130, causing me to have to visit the chiropractor for months afterwards.

But I don't have any pictures of them.

I was thinking of that while sitting outside today. Then I grabbed my camera and told the boys to get behind our truck.
I got this truck in 2001, just after college graduation. Can you believe it is ten years old? Rebuilt transmission last year, new rotors this week, and just today, a nice crack in the windshield. But I still love it, as do the kids. Soft and roomy. It will be sad to see it go someday.
***
We got to hang out with Nicole and Rodney and the kids! This enormous raft-thing was actually kept in their boat and taken out for the enjoyment of all, while floating in the bay outside Forked River. As you can see from the picture below, lots of boats like to 'park it' in this area. The water is calm and shallow. We get out, wade across the Barnegat Bay, walk to the shoreline, and we're just steps away from Island Beach State Park. No lifeguards in that section of the beach, but not many people, either. Nice vibe there.

And to top of that day...

We headed to the annual New Jersey State Ice Cream Festival! Note to self: don't try it again next year! Lots of 'questionable' people, crowds, limited parking, etc... worst part? If you don't get there early enough, they run out of ice cream! We were looking forward to trying out ten different flavors from ten different stands (even pre-bought the tix), but ended up just getting three or four. Ollie slept. Trenton smiled.Summer rules.

No comments: