Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trenton's First Day of Kindergarten


 I did my best to not hype up kindergarten with Trenton. I didn't want him to be disappointed, scared, or hyper-excited. I thought it was best to just keep telling him how cool the bus was (he agreed) and repeating his teacher's name so he'd get familiar with it.

But then the actual day came. And he realized that there was a vast unknown. Five minutes before we had to leave for the bus stop, here was my baby, all curled up in a ball on the couch, crying big tears, and telling me that he was too shy to go. He didn't want to go. Of course, this means that there was no way that I could cry at all-- I had to pull out all the big guns and fix this (in five minutes!)

Thankfully, my mother had the foresight to suggest that she come down and help out on this first day. She ended up reading books to Oliver while he did his thing in the bathroom. If I had two kids crying, I don't know if it would have gone so well. And Oliver cried like crazy when we did a dry-run "walk to the bus stop" the other day. He wanted to go, too.

So, quick-thinking... I told T he could chew some gum on his way down the street. I soothed him by telling him I'd hold his hand the entire time and that I wouldn't let it go until he made a friend. (Please let there be another kid on the bus he can sit with!) And I found the Red Power Ranger. The one with the head that changes. Apparently, if you hold that, all is well.


 Once at the bus stop, the tears stopped. Spider Man umbrella smiled for the picture above. In the one before that, you can see the silly tag they make me put on his shirt for the first few days. Below is a smile for Daddy, who requested one.
When the bus came, he complied with my request to spit out the gum. The door opened and the friendly driver said, "Hi, Trenton!" We were both happily surprised, but I guess I should have expected that she'd have a list. I walked him up the first step and watched as he sat down next to a little boy. The kid, Jordan, immediately said, "That's a cool Power Ranger!" And suddenly, Trenton was smiling. I'd have taken a picture of that, too, but unfortunately, the camera battery died.

 And then we have this guy. Up from a nap, backpack on, and ready to go. Insisted on going to the stop sign, as that is the true bus stop. Jumped up and down when the bus came by. Trenton-- waving out the window, all smiles--- comes bumbling out.

I snapped this one for proof of the confidence he shows.
We love you, buddy, and we'll certainly enjoy this whole kindergarten thing. Together.

3 comments:

Jim said...

That's my boy! T, how'd you turn from a screaming little baby into such a big kindergartener so fast?!

Anonymous said...

That was awesome. What a moment. I will have to remember your wisdom of not hyping up K too much when it's Bobby's turn. I wouldn't want him to be hyper, scared or disappointed either and it never occurred to me that making a big deal of something could do that -- but it can. Good call.

Anonymous said...

What a Big Day!! Some routines have changed and we cannot believe how grown up you are. Best of luck Buddy!! Love Ya! GM & Pop Pop L