Thursday, August 6, 2009

What's Running Through My Head

Hm. Seems as though the rules have changed, again.

The AAP now recommends that your child stay in a rear-facing car seat until age 2. Good summary about it here:
http://greenkiddos.blogspot.com/2009/08/aap-recommends-rear-facing-until-age-2.html

I can remember with Trenton thinking that his legs were getting long and hanging over the edge, and changing him into a new car seat as soon as he met the weight and age requirements (age 1).
But I will say, Ollie truly enjoys the rear-facing position, as he gets to watch Trenton while we drive. Maybe that will make it easier to keep him in this position as he grows up?

***
This one is for all of you non-parents out there, especially the ones who get all squirmy when you read about breastfeeding. Perhaps you'd rather I call it nursing, so as not to refer to the actual BREAST. Or those who think that it is indecent and should just be done in private. Because it makes YOU uncomfortable.
http://greenkiddos.blogspot.com/2009/08/breastfeeding-is-offensive-you-have-to.html
Mmm hmm. Now do you get it?

***

A follow up to our discussion on corruption in New Jeresy. Here, Jon Stewart (a Jersey native), tells it like it is.
http://news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=233548&position=6&news_type=news&rand=87960970

***
Trenton was in a funk today when we went to the grocery store. Absolutely tantrum-y and whiny. He didn't want me to put the groceries in the cart (he wanted to go in instead). I never allow him to go in, due to safety reasons and because where would I put the groceries? I always bring cars, snacks, etc. to keep him occupied. But he was having none of that today.

As I was giving him a mini-time-out at the end of an isle, I had an older woman come up to us and plead with me to "Just let him go in the cart". She kept saying, "Awww, don't cry" (sounds like some grandparents I know...) She tried to reason with me that she had three kids, and that she always let them in the cart, and that I could just put the groceries around him. I tried my best to bite my lip and just carry on... Ten minutes later (still whining), I did put him in the cart. The whining decreased a bit, and he did a good job of punching the bag of chips, kicking the grapes, and poking a hole into the bag of peaches. The cold ice cream on his legs was the last straw-- he wanted out. And then proceeded to continue to cry and compain on the outside of the cart. My plan for the entire trip was to get what I needed -fast- and get out. Mostly I ignore the tantrum, speak calmly, and rush. But it sucks.

I tell you this story, because at the end of our trip, I had ANOTHER older lady come up to me and say "Don't you give into his whining! I have a son whose Italian father always told me to 'give him what he wants' and now he is COMPLETELY spoiled and doesn't know how to do anything for himself!" Made me feel a bit better about my actions. And you know what? Once we got to the check-out counter, he was all fine-and-dandy! "Look, Mommy! A Bumblebee balloon!"(obsessed with Transformers) Go figure... ;)

***
He's been asking a lot about visiting characters that are on TV, about going into the TV set to see them, and about which ones are 'real' and which are just drawings. Today, during Barney (yes, he is still on), our conversation went like this:

Trenton: Mom, I wanna go meet Barney. What planet does he live on?

Me (hesitantly) : Honey, remember how we talked about that there are people who dress up in costumes? And they walk around? That's what Barney is.

Trenton: But Mom, I don't wanna dress up in a costume. I just wanna meet Barney!

Apparently, it is hard to wrap your mind around this one ;)

***

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ugh! I was really looking forward to turning Finn around. He gets lonely back there by himself and actually gets fussy when he can't see us. Not all the time, but definitely on long trips. We'll hold out as long as possible...