Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another Thing That Wouldn't Have Happened...


... if McCain was in the White House. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act was signed into law today by Pres. Obama. This bit of equal-pay legislation has been on my radar for quite awhile. I'm still amazed that there are employers out there who can somehow justify paying people differently based on their gender. In needing to file a complaint within 180 days of the first occurance, this woman lost a Supreme Court case because of that silly rule. She worked for 19 years at Goodyear as a supervisor, finding out that the others were earning much more than she did near the end of her tenure there. McCain and other opponents argued that this bit of legislation would encourage more lawsuits (um, if they are justified, DEAL WITH IT) or that the affected would put off filing claims in order to get a bigger payout.

Craziest part (to me) of today's ordeal? From the Times:
*Mr. Obama signed his name to the bill, using one pen for each letter.“I’ve been practicing signing my name very slowly,” Mr. Obama said wryly, looking at a bank of pens before him. He handed the first pen to the bill’s chief sponsor, Senator Barbara Mikulski, Democrat of Maryland, and the last to Ms. Ledbetter.*

Well, OK... I guess if everyone wants a pen, that is what you do... But really, one pen per letter?!?

Bring on the Mr. Bubble. I bought it in bulk. Trying to keep it to twice a week, though. Not too good to be sitting in that stuff regularly, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

yeah.. I don't know what the tradition is behind the one pen per letter thing... but I remember Clinton and Bush doing it. ??? Maybe Wiki will know??? lol... yeah, I'm not the professor in the family.. I use wiki and I google. ; )

Jim said...

I remember hearing about the one-pen-per-letter signing in elementary school. I think it's some sort of strange presidential tradition.

Nice bubble-face, T!