Sunday, August 16, 2009

Our First Trip to Citi Field


"Yo, is this the way to Flushing?"


I'd been waiting for today all season long... Kim and I had sat down with our calendars and picked out this date to go the Met game at Citi Field. It was The Inaugural Season, a day game (1PM), and on a Sunday-- perfect, right? Yeah, except for the fact that it is AUGUST and HOT.
We planned well, though. Brought our lunches from home, as well as lots of water bottles. Dressed lightly, and only sat in the sun (where our seats were) for a few innings. No problem, though, as what we really wanted and needed to do was walk around and check out the stadium!


My parents came, as well. My first Mets game was at Shea, in '92, with my Dad. I think I just recently parted with my t-shirt from that game (it was so thin, you could see through it).



I made up this shirt for Oliver this morning. Although the kid has like, five Mets outfits, I could not see putting on anything heavier than a Onesie. This seemed like a good idea until we put sunscreen on his arms, which mixed with the marker, and got blue all over his body ;)



The stadium is absolutely beautiful. The best I can compare it with (and I haven't been to too many baseball parks) is Milwaukee. I saw the Brewers play the Mets there. Granted, they had an enclosed roof (a good thing, too, as it was raining). Very fan-friendly, with bathrooms and water fountains EVERYWHERE, as well as concessions. There seemed like plenty of room to move around, which was good, as many people had the same idea as we did, and stayed under the bleachers and out of the sun.

A nice view of Flushing Bay as a plane takes off from La Guardia. There were several places where you'd follow down a bit of a hallway, and find a nook where you could look out. I was surprised at how low the wall was here... but many, many security guards and other workers were around, and were probably keeping an eye on it.

Not a bad seat in the house, really.





























We stumbled upon the Old Shea Apple by taking a random elevator down a few floors (we had brought the double stroller, and it was fine-- folded up in front of an empty chair-- glad we had it, as both boys were wiped from the heat).
Turns out that, due to fan protest, they decided to keep it around and build a newer, bigger one for the field in this stadium. We got to see it pop out of the hat following Luis Castillo's third inning home run. They won, by the way, 3-2. Nice! Considering there was no David Wright, they did a pretty good job out there.

Trenton's new favorite bedtime toy is Mr. Met-- I can tell already. He was whispering to him during story-time, and tucked him in under his own blanket in bed. Too cute how he put him in the Wiggles sandals, no?





These last few pictures are of our pizza dinner. Tell me that they are not making the SAME FACE in that middle one!? And the eyes!

3 comments:

Jay said...

Excellent! Looks like a fun stadium.

Jim, I'm proud of you for wearing that team-neutral, plain white polo! :-P

Amanda said...

I believe I was at that Milwaukee game with you. Remember how the roof leaked and was pouring buckets of water on people? Looks like your Sunday day game worked out better than ours (posting about it after this). Glad you like the new stadium. Two new NY stadiums assures a visit in the future from the Millers :)

Bridget said...

great pics! love the new blog header pic !