Friday, November 20, 2009

Let Them Eat Kale!

I know that I'm soooo lucky that my kids eat well. We have a rule in our house that you need to try everything that's given to you (thanks, Mom K!) Above, both kids tried out the kale from our Bean Soup With Kale that I made for lunch this week.
I really agree with all the recent research and articles that show what you expose your kids to at a young age can go far in getting them to like all sorts of foods. Parents' Magazine just ran a great article about how necessary it is to not shy away from giving your kids tastes of new foods numerous times before you expect them to really eat it.
We do try to make it fun at the table. Jim does a great job of naming things (X-Ray Vision Carrots) to make T eat them.
Not sure what turned Ollie on to the kale. He couldn't figure out how to chew it, but he did gum it a bit, spit it out, and then gnaw on it a bit more. Such a ham now for the camera...
Next week is our last CSA shipment. Look what we got in the box this week! Now, raise your hand if you new that brussel sprouts grew like this!

Unlike most people, I loooove brussel sprouts. Not sure how I'll make them, but they will soon be plucked and eaten ;)
If you haven't already considered it, now is the time to look into joining a local CSA for next year. You'd be supporting local farming (which goes a long way towards making our planet a better place) and exposing yourself to all sorts of new and delicious things.
Oliver has really started to get interested in his touchy-feely books. Above, he reads about dinosaurs. Jim and Trenton read Shel Silverstein's poems below.
Oh, and Ollie can now get onto the zebra alone and ROCK OUT! Look at those chest moves!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to raise my hand (re: the b. sprouts). I loved Jim's creativity (X-Ray Vision Carrots). Way to go!

Anonymous said...

It's our rule that she has to try everything she is given; however, if she does not like after one or two bites, I don't force her to eat everything at that time. Maya loves kale if I put them in soup.
I wish we have a program like you do (veggie delivery). - Mina

Bridget said...

Mina, you may.... there's a csa out of jersey that delivers to SI. We thought about signing up last year, but just didn't. maybe this year.

Great job, boys!!! Friends from "back home" always comment on how well my kids eat b/c they will try most veggies... Libby is a veggie girl and loves her salads. Logan is getting into a very picky phase (God, help me). But I do think it's partly what the parents eat or are willing to eat to expose the kids to. I've eaten more new veggies and fruits thanks to my babies. lol.

Keep up the good eating, boys!!!

Dani said...

I think Ollie is saying "duuuuuddee, kale is gooooodddd" in the one pic of just him :-) how do you like the zebra? thinking about that too for the Christmas list!

Anonymous said...

Veggies are great! And you and Jim are doing a wonderful job exposing the boys to such a variety! I can recall when you were small Sheryl you loved yellow squash so much we thought you were going to turn yellow. It sure was great having our own garden with plenty of vegs to choose from. You must remember to not put lima beans aside on your dish as Dad did for then you and Lenny caught on to not eating them either. Oh yes Olliver Ride Em Cowboy on a Zebra!! Love You Buddy ! GM AND POP POP Lacina XX00