Friday, June 4, 2010

World Cup Connections

For all of you who don't follow football (I'm talking soccer, here), you might not be aware that the World Cup is starting next week. One of the reasons why I know that it begins is because I read like crazy, and recently read something about the problems of prostitution in South Africa, and how the government is trying to prepare itself by handing out millions of condoms (they've had a history of AIDS issues, as well). The other reason is because I am, however vaguely, interested in Team USA's goalie, Tim Howard.

My earliest memory if Tim is from first grade. He was the tallest kid in our class and was one of the first kids I'd ever met whose skin was a different color than mine (his mom is Hungarian and his dad is African American). Also, he teased me like crazy. For these reasons, I was really intimidated by him! It must have gotten bad enough that I told my mother about it. I distinctly remember the spot on the playground where she stood and verbally reprimanded Timmy Howard, in front of all the other kids in Ms. Nicodemus's class. I was embarrassed, but I also don't remember being teased by him anymore!

Flash forward-- he got really, really good at playing soccer, and did so for most of his young life. He finished out the last two years of high school with me at our alma mater, North Brunswick Township High School. We didn't have many classes together (although I sat behind his brother, Chris, in geometry) but I did end up taking his picture for the yearbook-- he won "Most Athletic". He led our basketball team to the state finals, and those were some pretty exciting games to watch.

Tim went on to play for the MetroStars (here in the US), Manchester United, and Everton (both in the UK). He's now married with two kids and a devout Christian. He's afflicted with Tourette's syndrome (something I don't remember knowing during our early years) but doesn't let that stop him from being one of the best goalies out there.

All of this is on my mind because I just finished reading a profile of Tim in The New Yorker. If you don't check out the article, you might be interested to watch the video below.

Good luck to you, Tim, and the rest of the team! I know the world will be watching-- no pressure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's soooooo cool that you know one of the world cup players in person...even if you do not have the great of memory with him.

I hope US will do well at this time! Of course, I have to cheer for Japan though!

Thank god, we are not in the same group.

Mina