Sunday, July 29, 2012

Canoeing at the Reservoir



 This morning we took out a canoe on the Manasquan Reservoir. Although we've been visiting the reservoir for years now, we've never actually been out ON it. Jim brought his parents' canoe back to our place (and is currently building a rack to store it on, as it is about 17 feet long) and we couldn't wait to use it.
Above, we spotted a heron walking along one of the shores. We watched as it totally SPEARED a fish with its beak and carried it around in its mouth... the fish was so large, we didn't think he'd be able to swallow it!

Heron at the Manasquan Reservoir from Sheryl K. on Vimeo.



We are really enjoying eating seasonally. Above, Oliver devours some cherries. We've also had local peaches from the supermarket. But at home, we're all about our own garden: tomatoes, peppers, basil (fantastic lunch right there)... I made my own pickles which are AWESOME... We got cabbage and potatoes from the CSA this week, with which I made this delicious & hearty dinner (Grenadian nutmeg, too!).
Trenton put together the Lego spaceship you see behind his knee one afternoon last week. I taught and they attended VBS at our church each morning... we were all exhausted in the afternoons... but T kept himself busy (while I napped!) by following the directions and making this creation! Great job, buddy!

No comments: