(I tried to post this once, and it failed... Bear with me as I make a second attempt)
The constant buzz of generators and chainsaws is beginning to sound like the new normal. We've been without power now for three days, and it feels like a week. JCP&L said that 95% of their customers were without service... As of Friday morning, 80% of customers in our county (Monmouth) are still without power. Rumor has it power won't be restored until next week. Some homes in our town have power... Not many. Generous friends let us use their sockets & recharge our gear. Strange to have some parts of town with power, some parts without.
Neighbors are so kind, willing to help. Had friends stop by & stay for dinner two nights in a row. D batteries allow for the radio to work, and major dance parties to occur in the kitchen. Puts us all in good spirits. Storing food outside in a cooler, which is working out just fine. Curious if we'll get cold food in delivery in the few stores that have opened again. Conserving milk now.
Kids are thrilled with the week off from school. Governor postponed Halloween until November 5th. No one even noticed that it didn't take place.
Still walking into bathroom and instinctively turning on lights.
Boys playing way too much Leapster. Also getting on each other's nerves. And ours ;) Thankfully Jim is home all week, too. Monmouth U is being used as a shelter (powerless, but still sufficient).
Twitter and WNYC radio are my lifesavers. We truly feel lucky to be OK after a storm like this. Haven't seen any TV footage-- just a few clips that I've been able to download and watch on my phone.
Worst is the knot I feel in my stomach whenever I hear about the shore... Pictures show that it will be forever altered. Bradley & Manasquan - your dunes helped save you, and we love them for that; Avon- there is ocean sand in your streets, but your magnificent homes still stand ; Point- the Tiki Bar will rebuild... Take care of those penguins! ; and Belmar, the "beautiful sea": I will forever remember your brilliant boardwalk, where I lulled both kids to sleep so many times while enjoying the view.
We are here because we love you, Jersey Shore. We stand by you as you recover, grieve, and rebuild. Patience & power. JERSEY STRONG!

Never underestimate the power of glow sticks after dark.

Making a killing of the leftover frosting (before it goes bad).

(I cannot flip this one... but we are roasting marshmallows over the grill outside, after cooking up a delicious dinner of defrosting shrimp and peppers ;)
The constant buzz of generators and chainsaws is beginning to sound like the new normal. We've been without power now for three days, and it feels like a week. JCP&L said that 95% of their customers were without service... As of Friday morning, 80% of customers in our county (Monmouth) are still without power. Rumor has it power won't be restored until next week. Some homes in our town have power... Not many. Generous friends let us use their sockets & recharge our gear. Strange to have some parts of town with power, some parts without.
Neighbors are so kind, willing to help. Had friends stop by & stay for dinner two nights in a row. D batteries allow for the radio to work, and major dance parties to occur in the kitchen. Puts us all in good spirits. Storing food outside in a cooler, which is working out just fine. Curious if we'll get cold food in delivery in the few stores that have opened again. Conserving milk now.
Kids are thrilled with the week off from school. Governor postponed Halloween until November 5th. No one even noticed that it didn't take place.
Still walking into bathroom and instinctively turning on lights.
Boys playing way too much Leapster. Also getting on each other's nerves. And ours ;) Thankfully Jim is home all week, too. Monmouth U is being used as a shelter (powerless, but still sufficient).
Twitter and WNYC radio are my lifesavers. We truly feel lucky to be OK after a storm like this. Haven't seen any TV footage-- just a few clips that I've been able to download and watch on my phone.
Worst is the knot I feel in my stomach whenever I hear about the shore... Pictures show that it will be forever altered. Bradley & Manasquan - your dunes helped save you, and we love them for that; Avon- there is ocean sand in your streets, but your magnificent homes still stand ; Point- the Tiki Bar will rebuild... Take care of those penguins! ; and Belmar, the "beautiful sea": I will forever remember your brilliant boardwalk, where I lulled both kids to sleep so many times while enjoying the view.
We are here because we love you, Jersey Shore. We stand by you as you recover, grieve, and rebuild. Patience & power. JERSEY STRONG!
Never underestimate the power of glow sticks after dark.
Making a killing of the leftover frosting (before it goes bad).
(I cannot flip this one... but we are roasting marshmallows over the grill outside, after cooking up a delicious dinner of defrosting shrimp and peppers ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment