Monday, April 20, 2009

Earth Week

I see the media is billing it as Earth Week. Nice to focus on our planet for more than just a day. We were totally busy this weekend and didn't get to do any cool Earth Day things, other than enjoy the warm weather outside in our backyard and put the gazebo up (thanks Mom!)
Now Ollie can sit outside and not be directly in the sun.




Random stuff:
1) T got an activity book in a goody bag this weekend. One tongue twister says "DICKY LICKED SIXTY STICKY STICKERS". Instructions say "Repeat 5 times without getting mixed-up". Go for it ;)

2) Awesome artist Chris Jordan illustrates a wave of garbage. To think that someday our oceans will be churning up all of that barge-trash... Here's hoping alternative forms of trash-disposable become available before that happens.

3) If you haven't read up on this, take a look. I think it is a very innovative idea that I hope can work and the arguments made in this editorial in the Star Ledger lead one to believe that investing billions in our mass-transit system may actually get us somewhere.

4) A new book out by Dr. Laura praises Stay-at-Home-Moms (a term I find a bit inaccurate) for doing what they do. I'd like to get a copy and read what she has to say. I'm sure it is going to be a controversial one, and although I like to keep an open mind about these life-decisions that other people make, I know it was the right thing for our family to do. I saw her speak about it on the Today Show last week.

If I wasn't an at-home-mom, how else would I get a chance to take casual, random pictures such as these? Or bog at 8 in the morning? Or rock my baby to sleep anytime he chooses to take a nap? Or schlep my kids to storytime, craft time, playdates, or Target? I know I'll look back on these years with a warm smile, remembering the routine and ordinary-ness that goes with them. But you can never go back, right? As much as I miss teaching, there will be plenty of classes to educate in the years ahead when I return to the profession. For now, I'll work on enjoying this "job" while it lasts.

No comments: