Sunday, April 26, 2009

Nerd


Sometimes Jim and I kid ourselves about how dorky we are. We wonder if the kids will grow up thinking it is normal, or if some day they'll truly see us for what we are-- a bunch of silly willies. Anywho, it is fun to break out into song, do funky jigs, and generally do stuff within our own home that we'd never do outside of it. Can any of you relate?


This past week was long and a blur... spent it doing stuff. Playdates. Hosting lunch for an old friend. Family visits. Not as much laundry as I should have been doing. Jim is on his way home from the Philadelphia Airport now, after attending the SBM conference in Montreal and taking a brief excursion to Kansas to run a marathon (Kansas you say? Well, yes... he is still on that mission to knock out all 50 states, remember). I spent Thursday to Friday with my folks and Friday to Saturday with my in-laws. It was very restful to have someone else around to keep up with the boys. I love watching them interact, too-- so interesting how Trenton knows that playing with grandparents is very rewarding.


On the way home from our trip, I spotted a sign that said "New Jersey State History Fair" and I almost squealed out loud with joy. The signs were all over Rt. 29, the road that leads up to Trenton and each time I passed one, I read another line on it. Turns out it is next Saturday from 11-5 and takes place at Washington Crossing State Park. I've always wanted to go there-- one year, we'll go on Christmas Day for the reenactment. But there is access to the footpath nearby, right on the Delaware... if the weather is as nice as it is today, you can bet we'll check that out. Before naptime, of course.


They'll have American History Theater (!) presenting/portraying Harriet Tubman and Thomas Edison, a quilting bee, 19th and early 20th century children's games for the kids, and an antique car show. So as long as the weather holds out (you can bet I won't be taking kids out if it is rainy or below 50 degrees), I'm soooo looking forward to attending this nerdy-history day. ;)


Other random rants:
1- I am sick of the carpenter bees. I know they are marking their territory this week, but they have got to stop it. This morning we went to the reservoir (nice and cool at 7:30 AM) and they were all near the visitors center... making us duck and swerve to avoid their path... more in the back of our house and the front of the neighbor's house, too. Any ideas, other than swatting them with the Wiffle bat? At least they hover and make for an easy target...
2- Kinda figuring out why Ollie has had a hard time sleeping. The poor kid has been backed up. I knew something wasn't right down there since we started really feeing him solids 3x a day... not enough, er, coming out... But he more than made up for it over the past three days. Trying to shove more prunes and less rice cereal in him now. Last night he slept from 8 to 1AM, then wanted to eat at 3:30, so I gave him a bottle of water. Should help with the constipation. He didn't eat again until 5. So that's good. Twice a night instead of 3 or 4 times!
3- I took the pics for this post outside the house today. In the 90 degree weather. It's APRIL, PEOPLE! My plan was to walk them to church in the stroller, and after lubing everyone up with sunscreen and making sure they were shaded in my new-fang-dangled sun shade for the stroller (I'm using a white fitted sheet), we got about three blocks and I decided it was just too darned hot. I knew if we walked there we'd have to walk back at 12:30 and it would just be hotter. And everyone would be crankier.
So in these photos, I'm trying to get T to hide the bagel-with-cream-cheese he scarfed from the hospitality table. He's showing off his tulip. He's SOOO happy that it has finally decided to open up. Been green and closed for some time now... He likes to delicately touch it and cradle it in his hands. Had to snap a few pics before the thing dies (like the daffodills in the background have started to do!)
Pic of Jim taken at race... muuudddyyy!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so with you! The American History Theater sounds awesome!!! History Majors Rock!