Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day, 2009


Memorial Day was beautiful. Freehold held their 135th parade along Main Street and we were there early to see all of the action. The homes in the boro are turn-of-the-century historic colonials-- we just loved gawking at them as we made our way down the neighborhood streets.



Trucks weren't noisy at all; bands didn't stop and play in front of us, so T and Ollie were OK.


So get this: participants in the parade were notified in advance that they could NOT throw candy. We figured it was some stupid rule to cut down on litter post-parade. But it turns out it was because they were afraid that the candy would POSE A CHOKING HAZARD. You've got to be kidding me... candy ALWAYS poses a choking risk, but is that a reason to keep it away from parades??? Anyway, T did score with some beads, a Frisbee, a balloon, and some blow-up thunder stick. And there were a few renegade participants, so T ended up with one lollipop and a handful of Tootsie Rolls.

Quote of the day:
“My grandfather served in Patton’s army in World War II; I cannot know what it is like to walk into battle,” President Obama said. “I’m the father of two young girls, but I can’t imagine what it is like to lose a child. These are things I cannot know. But I do know this: I am humbled to be the commander-in-chief of the finest fighting force in the history of the world.”

Ollie really enjoyed his first parade and Trenton talked the whole time about the one we attended last year... much more candy there ;)


Ollie sleeping update: He's done really well lately... I began with T on the futon for naptime so that Ollie could learn to sleep in the crib. It worked. Now, they both nap in the bedroom at the same time (and I can Wii downstairs!) In the evenings, I feed him and nurse him and put him down. He falls asleep by himself and has been waking around 2 to nurse (!) and then again at 5 or 6 (and then going back to sleep for an hour!) Of course last night he did not do this, and was up at 12:45, 4:30, and again at 5:30 (for good). He must have known I was going to blog about it...

1 comment:

a mom amok said...

Hooray for renegade paraders -- keeping the fight for candy alive.