In case you're one of my readers from another state, here's what's going on in New Jersey.
Governor Christie is turning state funding up on its head. In a way, I think it is great. I'm all for listening to his proposals, especially when it is clear that he is looking to reduce a deficit and bring this state back to fiscal sense. But of course, there's two hot button issues that affect me directly, that I want to know more about. One is cutting state aid to local schools. The other is reducing state aid by 74% to New Jersey's libraries. You can read more about it here. After speaking with my local librarian, it seems that this will have a domino effect: funds that they thought would be coming from the state to meet needs will now have to come from local government, donations, etc. I use our library and its systems often. As a parent, we're there at least twice a month getting books, audio CDs, tapes, and DVDs. Sometimes we go for storytime or special programs. As a graduate student, the inter-library loan system is efficient and instrumental (especially for my area of study).
All this leads up to the following: the NJLA held a rally outside the State House Annex on Thursday, and I decided to attend. I wanted to learn more about what was going on and to show my support for our fantastic librarians.
No. But the State Library is right next door ;)
We had gotten there early enough that we had a chance to walk around downtown. Can't say that it was overly exciting. Trenton is a city that is past its prime and will probably never go back. Which is a shame. Very much a forgotten capital. Great location, amazing history... but a dead-zone.
For those of you who did not know, the name Trenton actually means the town by the river Trent. (English)
Totally appropriate for my firstborn, who started his exit from the womb in a swimming pool, came out too quickly for a water birth, and now calls the seashore his second home...
All I had to do was mention the dinosaur fossils, and he was jumping in the car, ready to go.
Oliver kept pointing to this one, dangling from the ceiling, and yelling "Bird!!!"
Below, they climb on a huge rock with a fossil footprint... it is right near T's head. See it?
No comments:
Post a Comment