Are you aware that Enfamil has put out a new line of formula for toddlers that comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors? I mean, seriously?
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends having toddlers drink whole milk until age two. So between milk and water, and probably the occasional juice, this is what your child should develop a taste for in the first two years of his life.
But chocolate? Vanilla?
Enfamil's peeps explain that they are catering to kids who won't drink it otherwise... OMG what baloney.
I know someone who gave her kids strawberry milk for a long time... each time they had milk to drink... I had a bit of a talking with her, and shortly thereafter, it subsided.
I don't CARE if it is made with artificial sweeteners/doesn't have more calories/gets my kids to drink more of it...
You're consciously building a desire for added sweet to something that is already naturally sweet! You're getting your baby to understand that chocolate is good and necessary to have as a beverage on a regular basis...
Who are the doctors who've endorsed this stuff? Thankfully, there are moms on the other end of the spectrum getting the word out about this (and the Chicago Tribune).
Gets me to remember another post I read awhile back... Yes! Buy some greasy, breaded, beefed-up chicken! And we'll put money towards helping 'find the cure'! So wait-- obesity isn't one of the leading factors for cancer? Couldn't they at least make it the grilled kind?
Arugh... so that's my rant. I know there's bigger stuff going on in the world today... but this one seems like something we can at least control.
Many thanks to Dawn for forwarding this site. If you need a smile, or at least a laugh, click here now!
Also, LOVE this site... wish I had a need for the products...
2 comments:
I agree! I cannot believe what parents will give their children on a regular basis. I know the wife of a pediatrician whose daughter asks for soda (and gets it) every time we have a playdate. Don't get me wrong, my kids get splurges (although not soda) on a occasion, but not every week... People don't give young kids credit... offer the variety, if they're not hungry, don't force it down 'em. Wait it out. they'll eat.
Libby was labeled underweight and failure to thrive (below the 3rd percentile for wt) from about 10months to 3yrs.... I'm so glad I didn't follow peoples' rec to drench everything in butter to fatten her up. she loves veggies as is and has balanced out in weight for her height. Let's face it, she's never gonna be a NWBA player. Ya know? She doesn't need to be as heavy as the kid who is 97th percentile for height. Besides, before long they will be going to school and getting the junk food there. :( No need to speed the process.
Post a Comment