
While the public parks were probably the most relaxing places to be, there were many other charming places in Geneva that I got a chance to see.

This is all you're going to see from the Art and History Museum. That's because you can't take pictures in there ;) I purchased the audio tour and spent over three hours getting lost in the Van Gohs and Renoirs and the ancient relics from Greece, Rome, and Egypt.

Everyone bikes in Europe. Did you know that? They're smart. Good, reliable public transportation and loads of bikes. And scooters. Lots of those, too.

A view from above of a small street fair. Carousels like this one were common everywhere, offering rides for children for about $3.


Looks like they couldn't decide whether to keep the windows open, closed, or halfway ;)
I'm sure they were trying to get some kind of cross-breeze going here.

The water in Geneva is very potable. There were fountains like the one above all over the city, and so long as you had something to catch the water in, you were good to go with a delicious, free drink.
However, if you did not bring your Nalgene bottle with you, you would end up paying about $6 for a bottle of Evian. LIKE I DID.

Had to take a picture of it, as otherwise it would have been a waste.
Beer, wine, and soda are all cheaper than bottled water. ;) But I was desperate!

The Jet d'eau is probably one of the best touristy landmarks that Geneva has. The thing is quite powerful, launching 132 gallons of water a second about 460 feet in the air! At any given moment, there is about 1,850 gallons of water spewing out into the air. They do turn it off if weather conditions are too windy, and between 11PM and 9AM, I think.
I took the top photograph while standing on a bridge over the Rhone River. The two below were taken on the water, as I traveled on a water taxi to get across the lake.



Now THAT, folks, is what REAL ice cream looks like. Caramel flavored. With chunks. From SWISS COWS. I don't believe that Europeans know anything about the 'skim milk' variety. And that suited this traveler juuuuuust fine.


Geneva is also proud of her flowers. Something like 600 rose bushes in the Jardin Anglais alone.
The picture below is of the famous Geneva Clock. Apparently they change around what type of plant makes up the clock. My tour guide explained its current appearance as being due to the fact that they were celebrating local biodiversity. She called it "the weed clock" and seemed ashamed that they'd chosen to go with
this. Instead of
this. Or even
this. (Now you see the potential!)


I really got my money's worth out of these sandals!
The videos below are of a neat street performer and my walk out to the Jet. You'll notice that the kid in front of me stops to say "Bonjour!" to the fish. He's wearing the hat that I purchased for T and Ollie from H&M (my shopping addiction of choice for this trip, as Jim will tell you).
No comments:
Post a Comment