With Jim off to
the conference, I was free to explore the city on Monday. I decided to try to do some kind of indoor day trip, as the temperature was still really hot, and air conditioning seemed
really nice, considering that there was
no air conditioning in the place we were staying. Makes sense, as it seems that Geneva is never this hot... but we did seriously consider buying a fan to use in our room for four days.
And I did consider running through these fountains. But I restrained myself.

So. Those fountains are leading up to the
United Nations building. Next to the location in New York City, this is the second-largest headquarters of the UN (the others are in Vienna and Nairobi). The massive three-legged "
Broken Chair" in the front (can you see it?) was given by a sculptor who wanted to remind the delegates to pass some kind of resolution against land mines, further reducing the risk of handicapping innocent people around the world.

After taking a round-about way to find the visitors' entrance, I finally got on line for a tour given in English. We had to go through some pretty heavy duty security and even got issued a day-pass! (It is very official looking, and if I had the time/energy, I'd scan it, but you'll just have to take my word for it.)
The picture of the building above is to illustrate the new and old parts of the United Nations building. Prior to WWI, the League of Nations was housed here. Since then, they've had some expanding to do...

We were taken into about three different conference rooms. Although some were outdated (especially the technological parts), the artwork was beautiful and particular to each one. I don't quite remember the entire story about this one, but it had to do with war and peace, and those who get to make the tough decisions about each one. The picture below is actually of the ceiling to this room.

Boring room below, but cool symbol. Our tour guide explained that this was chosen to represent the United Nations because the angle in particular (taken from the perspective of the North Pole) shows the globe in a way that no country is 'used' to, therefore prioritizing none. The olive branches symbolize the peace that is always desired as an outcome.

The last room we visited was definitely the coolest, but there was a conference for Indigenous Peoples taking place, and we weren't allowed to photograph. The ceiling in that one had multi-colored stalactites that were enormous and beautiful at the same time.
The video below is one I took when I was outside the Ariana Palace... it was one place I saw while I was busy getting lost and finding my way again... I hope the boys enjoy watching this busy bee at work!
No comments:
Post a Comment