Last Wednesday we went to visit my grandmother in her nursing home. We haven't gone since Ollie was born, partially because I'm concerned with keeping him from getting sick. But he stayed with me the whole time and really, really made Grandma's day.
When we got there, lots of people were hanging out(?) in the day room. There was one nurse reading aloud from the newspaper, and, I swear, she was totally blowing these residents' minds! Saying things like "Our country is in a recession" and "Banks are closing"... you should have heard the gasps in the room! "Oh my goodness!" "No, No!" I mean, I understand that you need to keep them in the loop by exposing them to current events, but seriously... do they need to know that there is a financial meltdown and the economy has gone to crap? No, no! Dear lord, if I end up in a nursing home someday, keep all of that negative news away from me. Let me enjoy my pudding cups and craft-time in peace. ;)
Anyway, they were gearing up to do some sort of craft, so of course T wanted in. He got his own smock and pot and sponge. Seems that they have the residents paint these pots different colors to correspond with whatever holiday is coming up. Then they use them as centerpieces in the dining hall. Makes sense. Grandma was painting a pink pot (Valentine's Day) green (St. Patty's Day). Not sure why T's was blue... maybe New Year's leftover?
Everyone... and I mean everyone... was in LUUUV with the little man. Two people asked me "Is it real or is it a doll?" Ha! Well, I guess it could be a moving doll. But do they make dolls THIS CUTE? I think not.
I walked him around and it was really touching to see all the little old ladies try to make him smile-- which he did, easily. But that's because he'll smile at anything after he's just eaten and has a full tummy...
All in all, Grandma seemed content. Even happy. She's in a good, caring place and we're glad for that. Got to get to see her more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment