Monday, June 8, 2009

Jim Conquers Vermont



Just got back from an awesome weekend in Vermont and New Hampshire. Jim had entered into the Peak Race Ultra Marathon competition that was held in Pittsfield, Vermont on Saturday. He completed his 50K in six hours, twenty-two minutes, making him the overall first place finisher for that race! Jim recommends you read this runner's account of the race so you get a feel for it (she even mentions Ollie, sort of...)

The town of Pittsfield was so... GREEN. Small, hilly, and friendly. Nice general store that we ate most of our meals at; nice guy who let us camp on his farm and sleep in his barn (not as hicky as you'd think-- it is a modern barn); nice ultra-runners who didn't seem to mind when the kids woke during the night crying (it was 40 degrees... I ended up with Ollie in my sleeping bag most of the night).

Jim ran the 50K, as I said, and his dad ran the 10 mile race. Both were over, around, up, and down some pretty rocky terrain. It was an amazing thing to witness-- all these folks beginning their run at 6AM and finishing after noon! We got to see Jim at an aid station mid-way, which was nice. However, he finished earlier than any of us thought he would, and we missed him crossing the finish line!

/>

On the way back home, we stopped in Hooksett, NH to visit Todd and Val and Aiden. Congrats to them, with #2 on the way! Trenton had some much needed play-with-friend time before we packed them up and drove the rest of the day back to NJ.



1 comment:

Jim and Danielle Montalbano said...

Congrats to Jim! Could have done w/o the nasty foot pic (gross, feet), but it does get the point across of how hard he worked! I love the slide shows, so fun to see the whole weekend documented :) I thought of you a couple weeks ago when the Today Show was at a petting zoo in NJ..I should have emailed you then to see if you've been bc I can't remember it's name but I do know they gave the kids free popcorn to feed to the animals -- sounded like a great get-away for you on a nice day!