Monday, June 1, 2009

First Summer Weekend


I thought about titling this post "Summer's First Weekend", but that is actually not true. As a neighbor reminded me today, "This is what spring is supposed to be-- 65-75 degrees for a few weeks-- before it jumps right into 90 degree summer". But when it is nice enough out that you can wear shorts (or not bring a jacket with you in the evening), then I consider it to be summer-like weather. And it was.


Jim was in Seattle most of the week and the weekend. Rather than going crazy at home with both kids (the evenings are the worst), I packed 'em up and headed to my parents' house. Dad was working on remodeling the master bathroom. I'm always amazed when I see my dad at work. He can build and fix just about anything. Very handy, but always on the go... Above, he measures Sheetrock to add to the ceiling in the bathroom. Trenton was like his little shadow all afternoon.


He played on the motorized car for almost two minutes this time-- a new record! We're not sure why he doesn't like it that much... maybe it goes to fast? Hard to control?
Andrea came over with her nephew, Alexander. Trenton loved having someone his age to play with at Grandma's house. Below, they share some Raisinets, which we justified as fruit, not candy. Riiiight.


Sammy, T, and Gianna share a neighborly ride in the wagon and some way-too-sticky ice pops.


Ah, but the real reason why I went to the folks' house was for de free babysitting!
It was Kim's 30th birthday and the celebration was at McSwiggans in Hoboken. Great night for driving to and walking around the city. Above, birthday girl with me and Red.
Below, Elaine, Mike, Melissa, and Craig. He didn't like his beer or something (same face when he drank this beer, actually).



Amy and Dave. They always take the best couple pictures together!
After the bar we scooted up a few blocks to try out the new bakery (open until midnight) on Washington Ave. It's called Crumbs and is much like the Cold Stone of cupcakes. Although it is a chain (and I tend to prefer the mom-n-pops), it put Magnolia's to shame. Most of the cupcakes have stuff INSIDE them (which totally rocks each bite you take). Red and I split a brownie cupcake and a Reeses cupcake... and a large skim milk.
You have to get the milk if you go.

2 comments:

Nicole Caccavo Kear said...

My dad is also exceptionally handy, and can fix just about anything from air conditioners to skin conditions with olive oil. Good to have a dad like that.

Andrea said...

Not Candy, Raisins!!!